Why do you have to tune it by ear?
Tons of free software out there. I suggest WinISD to start... LinearTeam
Plug in the T/S specs and play around.You can simulate response.
Hi-
This is my first post and I've been reading through older posts for some advice. I have owned some beautifully refurbished Flamencos for 15 years and I'm thinking about getting some larger cabinets built for the drivers (all 16ohm). I can't go any wider but I can go deeper a bit and higher. I want to accomplish a few things with the new cabinet.
1) get deeper bass.
2) get the woofer higher up.
3) mount the horn on top of the cabinet.
What would the best BR box size be. I would have to tune it by ear.
Thanks.

Why do you have to tune it by ear?
Tons of free software out there. I suggest WinISD to start... LinearTeam
Plug in the T/S specs and play around.You can simulate response.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
Thanks, I'll check that out. I've been doing some more research since my post and my head is spinning a bit.
10 ft^3 tuned to Fs is the 'sweet spot' for most folks. I tend to prefer somewhat larger cabs up to net Vb [box volume] = Vas [driver compliance spec] which can be close to 30 ft^3 for some 416s, so for these I recommend it be as big as practical for the location/WAF/whatever.
Placing the woofer at the extreme top and vent at the extreme bottom of a high aspect ratio cab [MLTL] generates some TL action to increase vent loading/damping, so the vent tends to be somewhat shorter [and often bigger] than predicted by simple box programs such as WinISD. If you put the vent near the driver, then these program's vent designs will work, but you lose the extra damping plus it puts a big notch in the response due to an extra internal reflection that's not easily damped which may/may not be noticed in-room during playback due to several factors.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

I have been using Eminence' box program, it's easier to me than WinISD....but WinISD is free...
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
If you have MS Excel then try Unibox. I like it a lot. Not much of a learning curve, very flexible.
Bookmarks